Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Garlic and Herb Couscous


My mom-in-law also gave us couscous! I prepared this couscous with neither the traditional North African flavor nor a Mediterranean flavor, but instead created a mixture of spices I hoped would pair well with our roast chicken dinner. It's fairly mild, so it doesn't overpower the other dishes, but it has enough flavor to taste good on its own, too. You know, for breakfast the next morning...

1 and 1/2 cups uncooked Coucous
not quite 2 cups chicken broth
Cook according to directions (basically, just use broth instead of water)


1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves freshly minced garlic
one small onion, finely chopped
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. lemon juice
a few good shakes of ground thyme

Saute garlic and onion in oil and butter until translucent. Stir in remaining ingredients. When couscous is prepared, mix this mixture into the couscous, stirring well to distribute evenly. I prefer my couscous lukewarm or cold, so I let it cool a bit. Feel free to bolt yours piping hot, though.

No comments: