Thursday, August 09, 2007

Orzo and Zucchini Salad with Garlic and Basil



John's mom gave us whole-wheat orzo! I've never had orzo before, but I really like it. Here's a summertime recipe adapted from Martha. I take this and put in all ingredients to taste. I suggest you do the same!

coarse salt (I used regular sea salt)
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup orzo
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil (just eyeball it)
2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced, or as much as you'd like
one garlic clove, finely minced (I used more)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn (The amount I use varies with how much the girls pick...)
1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I don't have any, and splashed white vinegar and white cooking wine on in equal amount, to taste, and I think I use quite a bit more than 1-2 tablespoons.)

* I also add green onion tops or minced chive tops in it, to taste.

1. In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook orzo until al dente, according to package directions. Drain well. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet to cool completely.

2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 4-6 minutes. Don't overcook! The crunch of crisp-tender zucchini is much more pleasant than the soggy droop of overcooked slices.

3. Transfer orzo to a medium bowl; add zucchini mixture, basil, vinegar, cooking wine, and remaining teaspoon oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. If storing, cover and refrigerate up to one day; bring to room temperature before serving. (That's probably proper, but I've enjoyed it warm, lukewarm, and cold, and cold might be my favorite.)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am so excited to have found this recipe! I LOVE this stuff! Too bad it is February and zucchini costs about $2 each! I can dream of summer...

Abigail said...

Yay! I'm glad you like this. We ate so much of this last summer. Lord willing, if you're around at harvest, stop by for pounds of free zucchini. :)