Thursday, August 09, 2007

Teriyaki Salmon



I found the inspiration for this recipe on the back of an Aldi bag of salmon, shipped here all the way from China. (I know...local eating.) I bought the bag under the impression that it was the same price per pound as its neighboring whiting. Stupid girl! It contained a pound less for the same price! This past week, which was several months after my original error, I made the same mistake (only purposefully this time) so that we could eat it again.

1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 white cooking wine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4-1/2 tsp. finely minced ginger root
a few shakes of lemon pepper
one small onion (you guessed it) finely minced
Now that the garden grows, I also added some green onion tops to the marinade and used some for garnish.

four 4-oz. salmon fillets, thawed and placed on a rimmed baking sheet. (If you're using fresh, then we're not in the same league at all. Don't sniff at my stinginess, just go here instead.)

Bring all ingredients (except fish, of course) to a boil and reduce to medium heat. Cook for a few minutes. Brush fillets with marinade, or, as I do, dump all the marniade on top of the fish. Broil under preheated broiler for about minutes, flip, and then broil for another three minutes.

2 comments:

rlbuckwalter said...

If you and the family move to Alaska and become residents, you can get a fishing license for pretty cheap and pull fresh salmon out of the rivers around here with a dipnet. Krestia and I don't count as residents yet, so we still pay too much for fresh salmon but it's soooo delicious. Here's our current favorite fresh salmon recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102650

Love your blogs, as usual, and this glorious glut of recipes. We need to get an ice cream maker and make blueberry ice cream with wild Alaska blueberries...they're ripe right now. Yum.

Rachel

Abigail said...

Mmm. I love wild blueberries! We always used to pick them in a giant patch near my aunt's when I was younger, but sometime in the last few years, they were mowed down to make space for some fancy homes. More's the pity. I miss them.

Thanks for the salmon recipe; it looks delicious! Next time I break down and buy some Chinese salmon, I'll have to try it out.