Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hot Milk Sponge Cake


This is the simple cake I frequently use as a base instead of a more typical yellow cake. It's got a rich flavor and is the perfect complement to basic cream filling, a bit of jam, and fluffy flour frosting. When I make it for layer cakes, I double the following recipe and bake it in two round pans instead of the recommended square pan. The recipe comes from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.


1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. butter

Grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan aside. Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.

In a mixing bowl beat eggs for about 4 minutes or until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the dry mixture; beat on low to medium speed just till combined.

In a small saucepan, heat and stir milk and butter till butter melts; add to batter, beating till combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

3 comments:

alltheposts said...

Does this cake stand up well when in very tall layers? I want to make a castle cake for my Ella's 3rd birthday this Friday. My plan involves a lot of layers, how do you think this cake would do, or is there a better one to try? It looks to be a very easy one to make pink, I think I'd just add some of my chokecherry jelly to the batter.

Torie

Abigail said...

I've only made it in two layers, and it was perfectly stable, but I can't vouch for any higher than that. How many layers? From your comment, I'm picturing a cake that reaches the ceiling! :)

I've never been brave enough to try a cake with more than three full-height layers, but I know that there are skinny dowels one can buy at hardware stores to stabilize lots and lots of layers (e.g. for wedding cakes...or castle cakes, perhaps?).

The jelly may affect the cake's stability if you add a lot. (I only know this because I've made very droopy frosting before by adding too much) so you might want to supplement with some good ol' food coloring, too.

I LOVE chokecherry jelly. It sound like one yummy castle.

alltheposts said...

I'm thinking around 4 layers. Large rectangle bottom and smaller rectangles up from there. Some cupcakes on the corners with frosted and sprinkled sugar cones upside down on top. I will use the dowels for sure, and even with them, I may have a slippery slidey mess. I should watch Ace of Cakes on the food network a few times to see if I can pick up some tips!