Thursday, July 09, 2015

Balsamic Poppy Seed Vinaigrette






This dressing doesn't look as nice on a bed of plain old lettuce as it did on the strawberry spinach salad for which I made it, but since I didn't take a picture of the strawberry spinach salad (because, you know, I was too busy scarfing it), here's the dressing, at least.

I really loved this dressing, and since none of the rest of my family cares for sweet vinaigrettes, I got it all to myself.  I ate it on lettuce with leftover almonds and feta for 2 days, then when the feta and almond supply ran out, I had it on plain lettuce.  I timed the lettuce shortage perfectly, because I ran out of dressing at the exact same time.  If I'd had leftover dressing, I would have slurped it from a spoon.

It's not overly sweet, but if you like your dressings wholly acidic, you'll probably skip this one. Otherwise, have at it! 

Balsamic Poppy Seed Vinaigrette


  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar (or less, to taste)
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used more, to taste)

  • a pinch of dry mustard powder
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Whisk all ingredients together until well-incorporated.  Drizzle as desired.

No comments: