Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tangy Meatballs


First, I apologize to any vegetarians out there, for searing your eyeballs and your soul with the snapshot above.

These meatballs are sweet, sticky, and tangy. Once a month, it's my responsibility to provide the food for the fellowship time between services at church. I decided meatballs would be a good addition to the other food I took this past Sunday, and since one of the families can't have gluten, I thought that a recipe that used oatmeal as the binder instead of bread would be perfect. Too bad I'm cheap and used generic ketchup (which may contain gluten...who knew? oh! and quick cooking oats do, too) instead of Heinz. Mrs. Eckley would be so ashamed of me.

Oh, well. Next time, I'll whip out a few extra pennies for the brand name. Until then, all of you people who can eat gluten may devour these. They're good.

MEATBALLS:
2 eggs
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 pounds lean ground beef

SAUCE:
2 cups ketchup
1 and 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add oats, milk, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add the ground beef; mix well. Shape into 1 and 1/2 inch balls. Place in two greased 13x9 baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes; drain. Place all of the meatballs in one of the pans. In a saucepan, bring sauce ingredients to a boil. Pour over meatballs. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until meatballs are done and sauce has reduced and is thicker and sticky.

This is supposed to make 4 dozen meatballs, but it made more than that for me, and I made one and one half times the sauce.

No comments: