Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sweet Tomato Pie




I've posted this once before, but now I have pictures. This is the perfect meal to use up summertime harvest. Plus, it tastes good. (And I don't know why its originator named it a PIE, 'cause it's really just pasta with the works.)



Spaghetti Crust
1 (7 oz.) package spaghetti, cook al dente and drain
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten

Filling
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 clove minced fresh garlic (I use more, @ 5 cloves)
1 small zucchini, peeled and chopped (I use more, and I don't peel mine)
**I also use summer squash (again, I don't peel it)
one onion, chopped (I also use chopped green onion tops)
1/2 cup (4 large) fresh mushrooms
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (or dried parsley, to taste)
5 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped (I skip the peeling)
1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup mozzerella cheese, grated or cubed (Add LAST)

Cook sausage and onions until browned. Add tomatoes and other filling ingredients; add mozzerella and mix well. Spread over spaghetti and bake in a lightly greased dish in a 350 degree oven for @ 25 minutes.

No comments: