Thursday, July 17, 2008

Grilled and Marinated London Broil


My parents gave us a cut of London Broil, and I used a wonderful recipe from Emeril Lagasse. I love beef but rarely have it in any form, and I'm no good at cooking beef cuts properly unless they're marinated or slow cooked, so this recipe was perfect. The flavor is full and mouthwatering. I served potato wedges, but I think the juice would be delicious spooned over mashed potatoes.

Hat's off to you, Emeril!

1 (2 1/2 pound) tri-tip London Broil or flank steak (Tri-tip? I know nothing about beef...)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup dry red wine (We had no red wine, so I used a bit more red wine vinegar mixed with some beef broth)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Creole mustard, or other spicy whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, smashed


Place the flank steak in a large, plastic resealable bag.
In a large, glass measuring cup, combine red wine vinegar, red wine, olive oil, Worcestershire, soy sauce, mustard, Essence, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pour the marinade into the bag with the steak, seal and place inside a large, glass baking dish to prevent possible spills. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. (I wanted the meat as fully marinated as possible, and I was paranoid of drying the cut through overcooking as I've been known to do, so I cut the meat into cubes before marinating it. Instead of a large hunk of London Broil, we had lots of savory, kebab-sized hunks.)

Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. (Alternately, preheat the broiler). Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Place the steak on the grill (or under the broiler) and cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes before carving.

Slice across the grain into thin diagonal slices. Serve steak with sauce.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
(I had some sitting in the cupboard, long leftover from this recipe.)

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

No comments: