Thursday, July 17, 2008
Thanks to Titi for bringing this delicious lasagna to a get-together at our house two months ago. I've posted this recipe before (tacked onto the recipe for pesto), but here it is again...with a picture!
The recipe makes two 9x13 pans, so either cut the recipe in half, freeze one pan, or eat pesto lasagna for a week. All are acceptable options...
2 packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 cups minced onion
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups pesto
4 pounds part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, roasted
32 lasagna noodles
2 pounds part skim milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. In a large, heavy skillet, saute the onions in 1 tablespoons of the olive oil until the onions are soft (5-8 minutes). Add salt and pepper in moderate quantities. Remover from heat. Add drained, thawed spinach. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add half the grated parmesan, the pesto, the ricotta and the sunflower seeds. Grind in some extra black pepper. Mix thoroughly.
3. Meanwhile, boil the lasagna noodles until partially cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water.
4. Coat 2 13 x 9 pans with olive oil. Place a layer of noodles in the bottom of each pan. Spread 1/4 of the filling onto the noodles. Sprinkle 1/4 of the mozzarella over the filling.
5. Repeat with remaining filling and mozzarella. Place a final layer of noodles over that.
6. Sprinkle remaining parmesan over the top. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Cover with foil and bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes.
Gobbled by Abigail on 7/17/2008