Monday, April 20, 2009

Buttery Crescents



The day after I made 60-minute Rolls for Easter, I made these to pair with Crusty Mustard Chicken. If I have time, I prefer to make these, but with fresh, warm rolls, as with cheesecake of any kind, I'm not terribly picky. The eggs, milk, and butter in these create a soft, rich roll.

The recipe comes from Lynne Petersen of Salt Lake City, Utah, and is found in The Complete Guide to Country Cooking.
Buttery Crescents

2 packages active dry yeast (about 4 and 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups warm milk (110-115 degrees F, but I never check. It should be warm to the touch, but not so hot as to kill the yeast.)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. salt
6 and 1/2 - 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
Additional melted butter, optional

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add eggs, butter, sugar, salt, and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down and divide in thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place with pointed end down on greased baking sheets. cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter if desired.

Yield: 3 dozen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I JUST found your blog, and I LOVE it!! :D So many recipes to try, and ones I forgot about!! Thanks for sharing! :D

Liz