Monday, April 20, 2009

Crusty Mustard Chicken


I adapted this recipe from Martha's. It worked perfectly for a last minute company meal (I knew the company was coming; I just didn't plan ahead), and we served it with salt-crusted baked potatoes, tossed salad, this broccoli, and these rolls. They're highly-flavored, peppery chicken breasts with a crisp breading.

I also made a honey-mustard sauce for dipping. Because I like it, that's why!!!

Crusty Mustard Chicken
  • about 6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into generously-sized strips
  • 9 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • ground thyme, to taste (1 tsp.?) Martha's recipe calls for fresh, and I'll try it just so in the summer.
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 4 and 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 4-5 cups unseasoned panko breadcrumbs (I'd never heard of them until we were given a container of them. Basically, they're large, coarsely ground bread crumbs made from crustless white bread, which make them airy and crisp. You can even easily make your own!)
I tripled the amount of mustard mixture that Martha's recipe calls for, because I always seem to run out of coating before I run out of chicken. See the original recipe for her suggested amounts.

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl, combine mustard, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, and salt. Stir in butter and oil until thoroughly combined.
  3. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Brush chicken pieces on both sides with the mustard mixture, and then roll in breadcrumbs to coat completely.
  4. Place coated chicken pieces on a baking sheet, and cook until well browned all over, turning occasionally to brown evenly, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve hot.

1 comment:

The Old Life said...

oo this looks tasty! :D
I love when you blog food!