This is my standard cranberry dressing for Christmas. Mrs. Winnie Finbar shared it with me when we lived in Depew, and I remember her as a most excellent cook. (Remember these spiced nuts?) Be confident that if Mrs. Finbar made it, it's worth making.
Cranberry Waldorf Salad
- 1 can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 package raspberry jello (Red 40. I know, I KNOW.)
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup boiling water
- very finely chopped celery, 1 stalk or less
- 1/2 red apple, unpeeled and finely chopped (I always add more)
- chopped walnuts (toast them first if you'd like!)
- I also usually add some orange zest.
Red 40 jello in boiling water. Mash cranberries with a fork and add to jello. Refrigerate for twenty minutes. Add chopped apple, celery, and walnuts and refrigerate.
*To give credit where credit is due, Winnie included this note at the bottom: "Recipe came on the Food TV on a program last Christmas time on a show about Cranberry Inn in Cranberry, NJ."