Thursday, July 25, 2013

Blast from the Past: Cranberry Waldorf Salad




This is my standard cranberry dressing for Christmas.  Mrs. Winnie Finbar shared it with me when we lived in Depew, and I remember her as a most excellent cook.  (Remember these spiced nuts?)  Be confident that if Mrs. Finbar made it, it's worth making.

Cranberry Waldorf Salad

- 1 can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 package raspberry jello (Red 40.  I know, I KNOW.)
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup boiling water
- very finely chopped celery, 1 stalk or less
- 1/2 red apple, unpeeled and finely chopped (I always add more)
- chopped walnuts (toast them first if you'd like!)
-  I also usually add some orange zest.

Dissove Red 40 jello in boiling water.  Mash cranberries with a fork and add to jello.  Refrigerate for twenty minutes.  Add chopped apple, celery, and walnuts and refrigerate.

*To give credit where credit is due, Winnie included this note at the bottom:  "Recipe came on the Food TV on a program last Christmas time on a show about Cranberry Inn in Cranberry, NJ." 

No comments: