Thursday, July 25, 2013

Blast from the Past: Roasted Cauliflower, Bean, and Feta Salad

*From the pre-Fancy Camera Archives



 Maybe my enthusiasm had something to do with the combined facts that I love roasted anything (even Roasted Kangaroo, which I've never had the chance to chew), and that I would marry feta cheese if I weren't already happily attached to John, but I thought this was extremely delicious.  John tried it but didn't care for it, so proceed at your own risk.  I think I adapted a recipe that Deb of Smitten Kitchen had adapted from a Bon Appetit magazine, though, so there's not too much of a risk here.

- 1/3 cup plus 3 tbsp. olive oil (I used less)
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary (or ground, to taste, if it's winter)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt (I used 1 tsp. )
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- a 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives (or 3-4 tbsp. chopped onion, if it's winter)
- about 1 tbsp. fresh, chopped parsley (Italian flat-leaf, or about 1 tsp. dried parsley, if it's winter)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (always feel free to increase the amount of feta cheese in any recipe you come across!)
- 1 cup chopped, toasted walnuts (I omitted this because we didn't have any, but just toast regular walnuts on a cookie sheet in a 350- degree oven for about eight minutes until golden-brown and fragrant, stirring or shaking a few times)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss cauliflower florets with 3 tablespoons olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast until edges are dark and caramelized, about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.

While cauliflower is roasting, combine remaining 1/3 cup (or less) olive oil and rosemary in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Cool.

Whisk lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Combine roasted cauliflower, beans, chives, parsley, walnuts, and rosemary oil in medium bowl; toss. Mix in cheese. Add lemon juice mixture and toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper.

No comments: