Thursday, July 09, 2015

Spiced Pickled Beets





I wouldn't have touched pickled beets with a ten-foot pole when I was young, but I love them now.  This is one proof among many that I'm an old lady.  If you like beets, you should try these!  Even if you don't like beets, perhaps you should try these... :)

Side note: I recently learned from an expatriate friend and her Kiwi companion that in New Zealand, burgers are traditionally served with a fried egg and pickled beetroot on top.  Yup.  A fried egg and pickled beets.  (And now I'm curious to try it myself.)

Spiced Pickled Beets

29 small beets 
2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups liquid leftover from cooking beets
2 - 2 1/2 cups sugar
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tbsp. whole cloves, bagged (or strained out later)

Scrub beets and trim tops.  Cook in boiling water for about 15 minutes or until tender.  If desired, place the cooked beets in ice water to cool more quickly before peeling off the skins and slicing the beets 1/4 " thick.    Heat remaining ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.  Add the beets and simmer until beets are hot.  Remove the spice bag and cinnamon sticks.  Pack hot beets into clean pint jars to within 1/2 " of the top. Pour the hot liquid over beet slices, leaving 1/2 " headspace.  Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes. 

*I always at least double the pickling liquid mixture in order to have enough.  This is probably because my "small" beets are too large and fill more jars than the recipe intends.  I just pop any leftover in the fridge for future beets, and it also can be used as a base for pickled hardboiled eggs.

No comments: