Thursday, July 09, 2015

Sweet and Smoky Salsa with Corn, Black Beans, and Zucchini







I only have this one picture of the salsa, so it'll have to do for now.  As its name implies,  this is a sweet and smoky salsa, not overly spicy.  Next time I make it, I'll add more heat, but even as is, it's one of the most delicious salsas I've ever made.  A big bonus is that it's full of ZUCCHINI!  Any of you gardeners know that this is a good thing, especially in those days of laundry baskets overflowing with zucchini and neighbors who politely decline yet another baseball-sized zucchini bat.

To be safe, I pressure can this because of the low-acid corn and black beans, even though the original recipe only calls for a water bath.   I wouldn't recommend canning this without a pressure canner, but it would taste good fresh, too!  Since black beans need 10 pounds of pressure for 1 hour and 15 minutes, when canned in pint jars, I can this salsa accordingly.  The texture is softer than traditional, water-bathed salsa, due to using zucchini in addition to the tomato, but mostly due to the pressure canning method.  If you only like firm, chunky tomato salsa, there's your warning! :)


Sweet and Smoky Salsa with Corn, Black Beans, and Zucchini


10 cups shredded zucchini
4 onions, chopped
2 green peppers
2 red peppers
1/4 cup canning (pickling) salt

Mix and let stand for 3 hours.  Drain well.
_____________________________________

2 cups white vinegar
1 tbsp. cumin
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. canning salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. nutmeg

Combine in a large pot and bring to a boil.
_____________________________________

5 cups chopped and peeled tomatoes (I used quite a bit more)
2 tbsp. corn starch (mix with some of the tomato juice until smooth)
2 cans of tomato paste
2 cans (or more) black beans, rinsed and drained
Corn, stripped from cob (I used more than 5 cobs' worth)
Chopped, fresh cilantro, to taste
*Next time I make this, I'll also add some minced hot pepper or more red pepper flakes, to taste, because I want a bit more heat.  Add to your tastes.

Add all the vegetables and cilantro to syrup and heat gradually until hot. Pour hot into hot pint jars.  Adjust lids. Process in pressure canner for 1 hour and 15 minutes at ten pounds pressure.

No comments: