Friday, January 15, 2021

ReJuVn8


Creeeeeeeak. 
Squeeeeeeeaak.

The door was nearly fused shut with rust, but, hey, it's been 5 and a half years since my last post! Hope springs eternal, as they say, and if this unplanned resurrection is any indication, I think buildabelly also springs eternal.

In the last few years, I've almost entirely stopped taking pictures of food because finding them on my camera brought to mind buildabelly, that old vault of food, now so thickly covered with dust that it causes people to sneeze in Africa. Thinking of buildabelly just made me feel guilty.

Even though there are recipes on buildabelly that I have not made in over a decade and will probably never feel worth the time to make again, I have a soft spot in my heart for ye olde recipe blog. It's charming in its way, and every time my brother Joel tells me how he's doctored up and improved the bland black bean "bake" that I have not made since Susannah was a baby, I laugh and think that I really should just take the recipe down. But I don't.

How did I find my way back here again, then? Today, as I sat eating the LAST BOWL of Susannah's masterful soup from last night's supper, I asked her if she still had the notes of instruction I'd jotted on a piece of paper, because this was not a soup I wanted lost to the abyss. She uncovered the scrap of paper in a recycling bin, I took a picture of my bowl of half-eaten soup, and I determined to post it here so that we could eat it again and again in the future.

But when I arrived at buildabelly, what did I find in my drafts folder but a heap of food pictures I'd piled here three years ago when I last thought I might start posting food again. Ulp. 

The least I can do is post the snapshots, in the same jumbled manner in which I piled them. If anyone stumbles back here like I did, and one of these snapshots causes your belly to rumble (in a good way), let me know, and I'll try to give a general roadmap-recipe. 

p.s. If you want a recipe for that double-yolked egg at the end, I'm afraid you're out of luck.




















































Almond Peach Oatmeal Muffins (1 tsp. of almond extract and a quart of chopped peaches...less salt)



The strawberry lemonade cake.







































cinnamon apple yogurt?





































































3 comments:

Molly said...

I have just now viewed all of those lovely pictures of culinary magic from your kitchen! I'm such a foodie that I found this very relaxing. :-) Welcome back Buildabelly! I have missed you!!!

Much love!

Abigail said...


It's funny that this very blog and a google search are what began our friendship! If only for that reason, I should tend to it from time to time. :)

heidiann(e) said...

Hip hip hooray!